Indigenous Peoples, Ethnic Groups, and the State2nd Edition
For orders to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Japan visit your local Pearson website
This title is ordered on demand which may result in extended delivery times.
Indigenous Peoples, Ethnic Groups, and the State provides a concise introduction to the process of modernization and its effect on tribalism and ethnic parochialism.
Part of the Cultural Survival Studies in Ethnicity and Change series, this text focuses on key issues affecting indigenous and ethnic groups worldwide.
Ethnic conflicts proliferate throughout the world as indigenous peoples are becoming increasingly vocal in demanding their rights, including the right to be different. Readers are invited to reexamine their ideas about the state, the role of ethnicity in it, and the peculiar situation of indigenous peoples, who are ethnic minorities alien to the states in which they live.
1. Indigenous Peoples.
Genocide in the Americas.Indigenous Peoples: Subordinated and Marginalized.Imperialism and Evolutionary Theory.Ethnocide and Its Justifications.Ethnocide: The Counter-Arguments.India: Where Indigenous Is Scheduled.Southeast Asia and Indonesia: Indigenous Peoples and Ethnic Minorities.Africa and the Politics of Tribalism.Conclusion.
2. Ethnic Groups.
Uncertain Ethnicity.Large Multiethnic States.Ethnicity within the System.
3. Genocide and Ethnic Cleansing.
Rwanda.The Former Yugoslavia.Conclusion.
4. The State.
State and Nation.Ideal State and Real States.Ethnicity and the State Reconsidered.Tribalism as Marginality and Metaphor.
5. Different States, Different World.
- Cultural examples are thoroughly researched and focus on specific global issues that illustrate the effects of modernization and how they impact that particular culture.
- In-depth information on several indigenous peoples and ethnic minorities expand students' grasp on the experiences and problems that these and other groups encounter.
- Brief and inexpensive, this text can be used as a main text or supplement in a variety of courses.