Fundamentals of Management with MyManagementLab, Global Edition9th Edition
For Principles of Management courses.
The practical tools of management presented through in-depth practice
Fundamentals of Management is a brief, paperback text that gives students more depth and breadth with practical tools to practice their management skills than any other textbook. The Ninth Edition introduces a new and exciting design and includes new chapter openers, case applications, and exercises.
MyManagementLab for Fundamentals of Management is a total learning package. MyManagementLab is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program that truly engages students in learning. It helps students better prepare for class, quizzes, and exams—resulting in better performance in the course—and provides educators a dynamic set of tools for gauging individual and class progress.
1. Managers and Management
History Module A Brief History of Management’s Roots
2. The Management Environment
3. Integrative Managerial Issues
4. Foundations of Decision Making
Quantitative Module Quantitative Decision-Making Aids
5. Foundations of Planning
6. Organizational Structure and Design
7. Managing Human Resources
Career Module Building Your Career
8. Managing Change and Innovation
9. Foundations of Individual Behavior
10. Understanding Groups and Managing Work Teams
11. Motivating and Rewarding Employees
12. Leadership and Trust
13. Managing Communication and Information
14. Foundations of Control
15. Operations Management
Entrepreneurship Module Managing Entrepreneurial Ventures
Encourage Students to Apply Concepts
- NEW! Three Case Applications have been added and moved to the end of the chapter. These Case Applications are a great way to tell a story about managers, management, and organizations and to involve students in assessing a situation and answering questions about "how" and "why" and "what would you do." These Case Applications cover the gamut from Google and Yahoo! to Zara and Starbucks.
- NEW! Self-contained sections on developing management have moved the skills material to the relevant chapters. The skill-building exercises included at the end of each chapter help you apply and use management concepts. We chose these 18 skills (some chapters have more than one) because of their relevance to developing management competence and their linkage to one or more of the topic areas in this book.
- Integrating Chapter Skills. Throughout the text, the authors included a feature at the end of each chapter that encourages students to apply the concepts they’ve just learned. This feature helps students see how the concepts work together, while providing them with a review of the material.
- Enhancing Your Skill in Ethical Decision-Making. At the end of each section students are put in the role of a manager making decisions about current ethical issues. This exercise comes to life as students log into their MyManagementLab and practice this skill in an interactive environment.
- Diversity Perspectives. At the end of each section students are put in the role of a manager making decisions about managing a changing workforce. Students are prompted to visit their MyManagementLab course to practice their decision-making skills related to age, gender, or ethnic diversity in an interactive environment.
- In order to help students put their knowledge into action, the skill-building exercises included in the You Be The Manager section at the end of this text encourage them to apply and use management concepts. For each of the 18 skills, this text provides:
- A self-assessment test
- A brief interpretation of what the self-assessment results mean
- A review of a basic skill concept and specific behaviors associated with developing competence in the skill
- A short, in class application
- Several reinforcement activities to give students additional opportunities to practice and learn the behaviors
Stay on the Cutting-Edge of Management Practice
- NEW! Commonsense Myth: Exciting and innovative chapter openers grab students' attention by introducing commonsense myths and then debunking them.
- NEW! One section in each chapter has a completely new contemporary and visually appealing look. The design of this selected material will reinforce key topics and ideas and make it easy for students to read and to know what's important from that particular chapter section.
- Managing Diversity highlights the issues and rewards of successfully managing diversity.
- Technology and the Manager’s Job discusses how technology changes and shapes the way we manage.
- And the Survey Says presents survey findings about managers, employees, and the workplace.
- From the Past to the Present connects management history to the present.