Short Guide to Writing About History, A, with NEW MyCompLab -- Access Card Package8th Edition
For orders to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Japan visit your local Pearson website
This title is ordered on demand which may result in extended delivery times.
A Short Guide to Writing about History is an ideal complement for any history course intended to teach students to think and write like historians. This engaging and practical text will teach students how to go beyond reporting the basic dates and facts of their history books and show them how to infuse their writing with their own ideas and unique perspective.
Covering brief essays and the documented resource paper, the text explores the writing and researching processes, different modes of historical writing (including argument), and offers guidelines for improving style as well as documenting sources.
0321881923 / 9780321881922 Short Guide to Writing About History, A, with NEW MyCompLabPackage consists of:
0205118607 / 9780205118601 Short Guide to Writing about History, A
020589190X / 9780205891900 NEW MyCompLab - Valuepack Access Card
1 Writing and History
Stories About the Past Intended to Be True
Writing History as a Way of Thinking
Basic Principles for History Essays
Writer’s Checklist of Basic Principles
Paraphrase and Plagiarism
Writer’s Checklist for Avoiding Plagiarism
2 Thinking About HistoryHistorical Questioning
Writer’s Checklist for Evaluation
3 Gathering InformationFocusing on a Topic
Making Initial Inquiries
Identifying Key Sources
Concluding Your Research
Writer’s Checklist for Research
4 Notes and Drafts Recording Information and Ideas
Writer’s Checklist for Taking Notes
Organizing Your Essay
Writing and Revising Drafts
Writer’s Checklist for Peer Editing
5 Voice and StyleModes of Writing
Simple and Direct Writing
Word Forms and Punctuation
The Final Presentation
Writing for Speaking
Writer’s Checklist for Expression and Conventions
6 Documenting Sources
Notes and Bibliographies
Writer’s Checklist of Source Citations
Appendix A Sample Student Research PaperManifest Destiny: A Characteristic of Nations
Things to Notice About This Paper
Writer’s Checklist for Sample Research Paper
Appendix B Writing ReviewsReviewing as a Special Form of Writing
A Sample Student Review
Thomas Fleming’s Discovery of Another War
Things to Notice About This Review
Writer’s Checklist for Reviews
Appendix C Short Essay Assignments
Writer’s Checklist for Short Essays
Select Bibliography of Student Resources
- A focus on historical writing makes this the appropriate text for all history students.
- Discipline-inclusive samples, drawn from a variety of areas throughout the discipline, include a full-length research paper, a strong model for students.
- Reference charts provide handy quick-reference resources on using, evaluating, and citing online sources.
- Frequent “Writer's Checklist” sections remind students of key questions to ask before starting a writing project and provide guidelines for avoiding plagiarism, peer editing (a process that more and more instructors are using to evaluate student work) and much more.
- A comprehensive documentation chapter (Ch. 8) offers a wealth of examples and models for citing sources correctly and avoiding plagiarism.