Introduction to Industrial and Organizational PsychologyInternational Edition
For orders to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Japan visit your local Pearson website
Demonstrates the connection between psychological theory and application in the field of Industrial / Organizational Psychology.
Introduction to Industrial / Organizational Psychology is a student-centered, real-world driven program designed and written with the student in mind, giving examples and illustrations relevant to their world of work.
The second edition continues to be accessible to students while maintaining a comprehensive coverage of the classical and new topics. With more student-oriented features such as Pearson’s MySearchLab with eText, instructors will find this the most thoroughly referenced I/O psychology and student accessible text on the market!
Upon completing this book, readers will be able to:
- Connect psychological theory in the field of industrial/organizational psychology and apply the concepts to their everyday world of work
- Be familiar with “classic” theories and research along with the latest developments and innovations in the field
- Understand the overview of the world of work
Note: MySearchLab does not come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase MySearchLab, please visit: www.mysearchlab.com or you can purchase a ValuePack of the text + MySearchLab (at no additional cost).
Part One Introduction
1. Introduction: Definitions and History 1
2. Research Methods in Industrial/Organizational Psychology 17
Part Two Personnel Issues
3. Job Analysis 53
4. Employee Recruitment, Selection, and Placement 77
5. Methods for Assessing and Selecting Employees 96
6. Evaluating Employee Performance 128
7. Employee Training and Development 156
Part Three Worker Issues
8. Motivation 188
9. Positive Employee Attitudes and Behaviors 216
10. Worker Stress, Negative Employee Attitudes and Behaviors 247
Part Four Work Group and Organizational Issues
11. Communication in the Workplace 279
12. Group Processes in Work Organizations 307
13. Leadership 340
14. Influence, Power, and Politics 372
15. Organizational Structure, Culture, and Development 401
- A balanced, comprehensive structure is organized into four parts:
- Part One provides an introduction to the field with an overview of research methods used by I/O psychologists.
- Part Two covers employee and personnel issues, including separate chapters on job analysis, employee selection, evaluating employee performance, and employee training.
- Part Three, titled “Worker Issues,” deals with processes that are worker-centered: worker motivation, job satisfaction, and stress.
- Part Four covers organizational topics that are group-oriented: communication, group processes, leadership, organizational power and politics, organizational structure, and culture and development.
- “Inside Tips” features, found at the beginning of each chapter, are designed to connect chapters and help students see the “big picture” of the field of I/O psychology, as well as to provide specific study tips.
- “Applying I/O Psychology” features take some of the theoretical and research material presented in the chapter and shows how I/O psychologists apply this knowledge to make positive changes in actual work settings.
- “Up Close” features provide students with practical information concerning how I/O psychology can increase understanding of everyday work situations.
- “On the Cutting Edge” features highlight more current areas of research or practice in I/O psychology.
- “Stop and Review”questions are strategically placed in the margins. These questions are designed to allow the student to “self-test” whether she or he has retained important material just read or studied.
- A glossary of key terms also appears throughout the chapters, with a more complete alphabetical glossary at the end of the book.
- Chapters are designed to facilitate learning. Each chapter begins with an outline of the topics and ends with a chapter summary and a series of study questions/exercises that help students review and think about the chapter material.
- MySearchLab with eText can be packaged with this text.
- MySearchLab provides engaging experiences that personalize learning, and comes from a trusted partner with educational expertise and a deep commitment to helping students and instructors achieve their goals.
- eText – Just like the printed text, you can highlight and add notes to the eText or download it to your iPad.
- Assessment – Chapter quizzes and flashcards offer immediate feedback and report directly to the gradebook.
- Writing and Research – A wide range of writing, grammar and research tools and access to a variety of academic journals, census data, Associated Press newsfeeds, and discipline-specific readings help you hone your writing and research skills.
“Riggio has provided an excellent overview of theory and research in I/O in a manner that is easy to grasp and accessible to students.”
- Viviane Seyranian, Whittier College
“this text book is clearly written and well structured. A number of relevant insights from the applied literature are included in an accessible manner. This provides a useful link between theory, evidence and application to real world organisations. This textbook provides a useful and well-argues treatment of relatively more abstract and difficult topics such as motivation and leadership. Overall, it is a commendable effort.”
- Abhijit Sharma, Bradford University School of Management
“The book is organized in a very logical and approachable way and would make it easy to relate lecture material to. I can see my lectures and this text to work together well.”
- Adam Marcantel, University of Louisiana-Lafayette
Your opinions count
Be the first to review this product. Write your review now.