Computer Organization and Architecture: International Edition9th Edition
For undergraduates and professionals in computer science, computer engineering, and electrical engineering courses.
Learn the fundamentals of processor and computer design from the newest edition of this award-winning text.
Four-time winner of the best Computer Science and Engineering textbook of the year award from the Textbook and Academic Authors Association, Computer Organization and Architecture: Designing for Performance provides a thorough discussion of the fundamentals of computer organization and architecture, covering not just processor design, but memory, I/O, and parallel systems.Coverage is supported by a wealth of concrete examples emphasizing modern systems.
- Multiple Perspectives: Systems are viewed from both the architectural (attributes of a system visible to a machine language programmer) and organizational (operational units and their interconnections that realize the architecture) perspectives to give students context.
- Unified Treatment of I/O: Provides full understanding of I/O functions and structures, including two important external interface examples: FireWire and InfiniBand.
- Focus on RISC: Students gain a broad understanding of this technology, found in virtually all contemporary machines.
- Parallel Processors: Exceptionally clear, well-organized treatment of symmetric multiprocessors (SMP), clusters, and NUMA systems.
- Running Case Studies: Case studies of Intel x86 and embedded ARM architectures supplement and explain material.
- Microprogrammed Implementation: This technology is given a full treatment, so students gain a complete understanding of processor organization.
- Interactive Simulations: Over 20 online web simulations are keyed to major portions of the text to illustrate computer architecture design issues.
- Multicore Processor Coverage: Explain this standard in processor design.
- Embedded Processor Coverage: Includes coverage of embedded processors and the unique design issues they present. The ARM architecture is used as a case study.
- Online Appendices: To conserve space, the appendices are available online as PDFs.