Laboratory Manual for Anatomy & Physiology featuring Martini Art, Pig Version Plus MasteringA&P with eText -- Access Card Package5th Edition
For orders to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Japan visit your local Pearson website
This title is ordered on demand which may result in extended delivery times.
Known for its carefully guidedlab activities, accurate art and photo program, and unique practice and review tools that encourage students to draw, label, apply clinical content, and think critically, Wood, Laboratory Manual for Anatomy & Physiology with Martini Art featuring MasteringA&P®, Pig Version, Fifth Edition offers a comprehensive approach to the two-semester A&P laboratory course. The stunning, full-color illustrations are adapted from Martini/Nath/Bartholomew, Fundamentals of Anatomy & Physiology, Ninth Edition, making this lab manual a perfect companion to that textbook for instructors who want lab manual art to match textbook art. The use of the Martini art also makes this lab manual a strong companion to Martini/Ober/Nath, Visual Anatomy & Physiology. This manual can also be used with any other two-semester A&P textbook for those instructors who want students in the lab to see different art from what is in their textbook. This lab manual is available in three versions: Main, Cat, and Pig. The Cat and Pig versions are identical to the Main version but also include nine cat or nine pig dissection exercises at the back of the lab manual.
The Fifth Edition features more visually effective art and abundant opportunities for student practice both in the manual and online. For the first time, this manual comes with MasteringA&P. The new Practice Anatomy Lab™ (PAL™) 3.0 virtual anatomy program and the new PhysioEx™ 9.0 physiology lab simulation program–both housed within MasteringA&P®–give students valuable coaching and practice.
1. Laboratory Safety
2. Introduction to the Human Body
3. Organ Systems Overview
4. Use of the Microscope
5. Anatomy of the Cell and Cell Division
6. Movement Across Cell Membranes
7. Epithelial Tissue
8. Connective Tissue
9. Muscle Tissue
10. Neural Tissue
11. The Integumentary System
12. Body Membranes
13. Organization of the Skeletal System
14. The Axial Skeleton
15. The Appendicular Skeleton
17. Organization of Skeletal Muscles
18. Muscles of the Head and Neck
19. Muscles of the Vertebral Column, Abdomen, and Pelvis
20. Muscles of the Pectoral Girdle and Upper Limb
21. Muscles of the Pelvic Girdle and Lower Limb
22. Muscle Physiology
23. Organization of the Nervous System
24. The Spinal Cord, Spinal Nerves, and Reflexes
25. Anatomy of the Brain
26. Autonomic Nervous System
27. General Senses
28. Special Senses: Olfaction and Gustation
29. Anatomy of the Eye
30. Physiology of the Eye
31. Anatomy of the Ear
32. Physiology of the Ear
33. The Endocrine System
35. Anatomy of the Heart
36. Anatomy of the Systemic Circulation
37. Cardiovascular Physiology
38. The Lymphatic System
39. Anatomy of the Respiratory System
40. Physiology of the Respiratory System
41. Anatomy of the Digestive System
42. Physiology of the Digestive System
43. Anatomy of the Urinary System
44. Physiology of the Urinary System
45. Anatomy of the Reproductive System
46. Development 000
47. Surface Anatomy 000
Pig Dissection Exercises
1. Pig Muscular System
2. Pig Nervous System
3. Pig Endocrine System
4. Pig Circulatory System
5. Pig Lymphatic System
6. Pig Respiratory System
7. Pig Digestive System
8. Pig Urinary System
9. Pig Reproductive System
Appendix a: Weights and Measures
APPENDIX B: Eponyms in Common Use
Unparalleled Illustration and Photo Program:
- Illustrations by renowned medical illustrators William Ober and Claire Garrison are precise, accurate, and carefully integrated with the text. The illustrations are derived or modified from Martini/Nath/Bartholomew, Fundamentals of Anatomy & Physiology, Ninth Edition, making this lab manual a perfect companion to that textbook for instructors who want lab manual art to match textbook art. The use of Martini art also makes this lab manual a strong companion to Martini/Ober/Nath, Visual Anatomy & Physiology. This lab manual can also support any other anatomy & physiology textbook for instructors who want students in the lab to see different art from what is in their textbook.
- Award-winning photographs by biomedical photographer Ralph Hutchings are clear and crisp. The photos are from Martini/Nath/Bartholomew, Fundamentals of Anatomy & Physiology, Ninth Edition.
- Histology images are paired with corresponding illustrations to facilitate student understanding of the microscopic level of anatomy and prepare them for what they will see through the microscope.
Abundant Tools for Practice and Review:
- QuickCheck Questions at the end of most activity introductions help students assess their understanding of the material before beginning the actual laboratory work.
- Sketch to Learn! activities guide students through creating a drawing that helps them to make connections and better understand the lab activity. Accompanied by non-threatening, hand-drawn pencil sketches that serve as style examples, the emphasis of this feature is on learning, and not on producing art.
- Draw It! activities help students remember structures and processes through drawing them.
- Clinical Application boxes present clinical information useful to students who plan a career in the allied health field. Students can apply this information by answering the Clinical Challenge questions in the end-of-exercise Review & Practice Sheet.
- Study Tip boxes give students handy memory devices, tools for learning certain relationships, and general suggestions for retaining complex A&P concepts.
- Review & Practice Sheets (formerly Lab Reports) follow each exercise, and can be completed by students and handed in for grading. Tasks include answering a variety of questions, labeling illustrations, drawing structures, matching related items, completing tables, recording data, writing observations, and interpreting results.
Specialized Lab Activities:
- BIOPAC Activities are incorporated within some of the lab exercises to allow instructors who have BIOPAC equipment in their lab to use it effectively with this lab manual. (BIOPAC equipment, manufactured by the BIOPAC company, includes clinical instruments, such as blood pressure gauges, that hook up to any standard computer to convert the computer’s monitor into a clinical monitor. It allows students to record clinical data, such as blood pressure, from their own bodies.)
- The Cat and Pig versions of this lab manual include Cat and Pig dissection exercises with dissection photos taken by one of the anatomy field’s premier dissection/photographer teams– Shawn Miller and Mark Nielsen of the University of Utah–paired with precise illustrations by Bill Ober and Claire Garrison.
Michael G. Wood is a Professor of Biology at Del Mar College in Corpus Christi, Texas, where he has taught anatomy & physiology and biology for over 20 years. He has received the “Educator of the Year” and “Teacher of the Year” awards from the Del Mar College student body and from the local business community. He received his M.S. in 1986 at Pan American University, now the University of Texas at Pan American, where his research examined the ecological impact of an introduced species used widely in aquaculture (the blue tilapia) on the native fish population in the Rio Grande drainage of South Texas. He is a member of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (HAPS).