Keys to SuccessService Learning
For orders to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Japan visit your local Pearson website
This title is ordered on demand which may result in extended delivery times.
Has the goal of helping students make the most of their service-learning experience thus features a practical, informative introduction that promotes engagement with the experience and in-depth, productive reflection.
Keys to Success: Service Learning module has two sections. The first section is a concise but comprehensive introduction to service-learning. It begins with an overview of what service-learning is and provides justification as to the benefits of service-learning, both for the participant and for the people and/or organization served. It discusses the ways in which instructors will evaluate and grade service-learning work. Finally, it provides helpful information about how to make the most of the service-learning experience, including tips on professionalism, communication, teamwork, and conflict management. The second section consists of blank journal pages, providing flexibility for the individual instructor to guide student reflection depending on the nature of the course and the related service-learning program.
Learning Objectives for Keys to Success: Service Learning:
What is service-learning?
What value does service-learning have for me?
How will my service-learning work be measured?
How can I make the most of my service-learning experiences?
Initial self-assessment - Gives students a chance to reflect on their knowledge and goals, and introduces students to topics they will read in the material. (Ex. - Beginning of module)
Friendly, practical tone - Encourages reading and reflection. (Ex. - Throughout module)
Blank journal section - For written reflection on service-learning activities, as assigned by individual instructors. (Ex. - Second half of module)
TECHNOLOGY AND PEARSON CHOICES
MyStudentSuccessLab (www.mystudentsuccesslab.com) is an online solution designed to help students ‘Start strong, Finish stronger’ by building skills for ongoing personal and professional development. This Learning Outcome based technology promotes student engagement through:
· The Learning Path Diagnostic offers for the course, 83 Full Course Pre- and Post-Diagnostic (Bloom’s Taxonomy Levels I-VI) questions, and for each topic, 20 Pre- and Post-Test (Bloom’s Taxonomy Levels I-VI) questions.
· The Overview provides learning objectives to build vocabulary and repetition.
· Video interviews on key issues ‘by students, for students’.
· The Practice exercises improve class preparation and learning.
· Graded Activities build critical thinking skills and develop problem-solving abilities (includes Essays and Journaling).
· Instructors benefit from an Implementation Guide to easily assign and assess progress.
· Students have access to relevant FinishStronger247 YouTube videos, the Pearson student Facebook page chock full of tips, MySearchLab use for doing effective research, and more.
PearsonChoices - CourseSmart and Custom Publishing. Having choices for how to deliver course content is important.
· CourseSmart Textbooks Online is an exciting new choice for students looking to save money. As an alternative to purchasing the print textbook, students can subscribe to the same content online and save up to 50% off the suggested list price of the print text. With a CourseSmart e-textbook, students can search the text, make notes online, print out reading assignments that incorporate lecture notes, and bookmark important passages for later review. For more information, or to subscribe, visit www.coursesmart.com.
· Pearson Custom Publishing allows professors to create their own professionally produced customized textbooks and media products to best complement their course. We offer high-quality content, professional design, quick production, and reliable on-time delivery. The result is a valuable textbook that students will use, cover to cover, tailored to meet exactly the needs of the professor, students, and course. Visit www.pearsoncustom.com.
Carol Carter is a national and international student success author and speaker. She is a co-author of the Keys to Success series of student success and study skills textbooks, used by more than 200,000 freshmen each year throughout the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and China. Carol is also president of LifeBound, a student success and transition company which she founded ten years ago. Both with LifeBound and with the Keys to Success series, Carolís goal is to prepare students for success in college and in the workplace.
Sarah Lyman Kravits has worked as a co-author on the Keys to Success series of textbooks for over fifteen years. A few years after graduating from the University of Virginia as a Jefferson Scholar, she worked as program director for LifeSkills, Inc., a nonprofit organization that aims to further the career and personal development of high school students. This work led her into co-authoring her first student success text and the realization that she was driven to empower students to reach their goals. She continues to work on the Keys to Success series in pursuit of her goal to support college students in their quest for learning.
"Really love all the campus examples and the detail that went into writing each...Really brings the concept to life and encourages others to be creative."
--Kim Forcier, University of Texas at San Antonio
"The coverage on the different types of Service Learning is very good. Also, the information provided about the various aspects of service learning which students will likely never have considered as options and the characteristics of the typical project are quite helpful."
--Lyn Brown, Lamar Institute of Technology
Your opinions count
Be the first to review this product. Write your review now.