Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology with Essentials of Interactive Physiology CD-ROMInternational Edition
For orders to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Japan visit your local Pearson website
|This title is also available in the following alternative formats:|
Now in its Tenth Edition, Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology continues to set the standard for short-course A&P texts. Its dramatically updated art program, more streamlined presentation of material, and integration of chapter objectives will help you better visualize and understand the structure and function of the human body. Elaine Mariebs clear and friendly writing style emphasizes the relevance of anatomy & physiology to your life and future career. The book clarifies concepts, defines key terms, and offers just the right balance of anatomy, physiology, and clinical coverage to make the content complete without being overwhelming.
Elaine Marieb wrote this book specifically for the one-semester course and continues to carefully select a range of material that proves just right for the shorter course. New information on hot topics like the HPV Vaccine, Infantile Polycystic Kidney disease, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) draws students into the material.
The book also includes the Essentials of Interactive Physiology®CD-ROM and a Companion Website.
1. The Human Body: An Orientation
2. Basic Chemistry
3. Cells and Tissues
4. Skin and Body Membranes
5. The Skeletal System
6. The Muscular System
7. The Nervous System
8. Special Senses
9. The Endocrine System
11. The Cardiovascular System
12. The Lymphatic System and Body Defenses
13. The Respiratory System
14. The Digestive System and Body Metabolism
15. The Urinary System
16. The Reproductive System
- Elaine Marieb’s conversational writing style, sense of humor, and consistent use of analogies makes the material less intimidating and more accessible to students.
- Systems in Sync figures summarize, illustrate, and explain the interrelationship of all body systems.
- Homeostatic Imbalance sections emphasize the concept of homeostasis and stress the understanding that loss of homeostasis leads to pathology or disease. Clinical examples most relevant to people working in health fields are included.
- Critical Thinking & Clinical Application questions at the end of each chapter challenge students to apply what they’ve learned to clinical situations.
- Focus on Careers sections use interviews with working professionals to show how anatomy & physiology is important in a wide range of allied health careers.
- A Closer Look boxes provide chapter-relevant, timely information about new discoveries in medical research and new clinical procedures.
- Developmental Aspects sections close every chapter and emphasize problems that accompany the aging process.
- Excellent learning aids such as function previews, integrated chapter objectives, summaries, and review questions highlight and reinforce important concepts.
- Media icons in each end-of-chapter Summary guide students to relevant and useful learning tutorials in the Essentials of Interactive Physiology® CD-ROM included with the book.
- Medical illustrations offer students the opportunity to see greater contrast among structures and more visible detail, particularly in muscle, bone, and joint illustrations.
- Figure Questions accompany selected figures and quickly engage “visual learners” beyond rote memorization of terms and labels to a more meaningful understanding of concepts and processes. Answers are provided, upside-down, on the same page.
- Did You Get It? questions test students on key topics from that section. Answers are provided at the end of the book.
For Elaine N. Marieb, R.N., Ph.D., taking the needs of nursing and other allied health students into account has always been an integral part of her teaching style. Dr. Marieb began her teaching career at Springfield College, where she taught anatomy & physiology to physical education majors. She then joined the faculty of the Biological Science Division of Holyoke Community College in 1969 after receiving her Ph.D. in zoology from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. While teaching at Holyoke Community College, Dr. Marieb pursued her nursing education, which culminated in a Master of Science degree with a clinical specialization in gerontology from the University of Massachusetts. This experience, along with continual feedback from health care professionals (including generations of former students taught by Dr. Marieb), has inspired the unique perspective and accessibility for which this book is known.
Dr. Mariebs commitment to students extends beyond teaching and writing. Recognizing the challenges students face, Dr. Marieb contributes to the New Directions Program at Holyoke Community College by funding a staffed drop-in center and by providing several full-tuition scholarships each year for women who are returning to college after a hiatus or attending college for the first time. She also funds the E. N. Marieb Science Research Awards at Mount Holyoke College (which promotes research by undergraduate science majors) and has underwritten renovation and updating of one of the biology labs in Mount Holyokes Clapp Laboratory. Recognizing the severe national shortage of nursing faculty, Dr. Marieb also underwrites the Nursing Scholars of the Future Grant Program at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
In 1994, Dr. Marieb received the Benefactor Award from the National Council for Resource Development, American Association of Community Colleges, which recognizes her ongoing sponsorship of student scholarships, faculty teaching awards, and other academic contributions to Holyoke Community College. In May 2000, the science building at Holyoke Community College was named in her honor.
Dr. Marieb is an active member of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (HAPS) and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Additionally, while actively engaged as an author, Dr. Marieb serves as a consultant for the Benjamin Cummings Interactive Physiology® CD-ROM series. This textEssentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology, Tenth Editionis the latest expression of her commitment to the needs of the students pursuing the study of A&P.
When not involved in academic pursuits, Dr. Marieb is a world traveler and has vowed to visit every country on this planet. Shorter term, she serves on the board of directors of the famed Marie Selby Botanical Gardens and on the scholarship committee of the Womens Resources Center of Sarasota County. She is an enthusiastic supporter of the local arts and enjoys a competitive match of doubles tennis.