Child DevelopmentTheory and Practice 0-11
For orders to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Japan visit your local Pearson website
|This title is also available in the following alternative formats:|
This accessible, pedagogically-rich and UK-authored text on Child Development links psychological theory to real classroom settings and scenarios, and is tailored specifically for those training to teach.
The text brings together key concepts and theories in developmental psychology and applies them to a range of classroom and educational settings. The book also emphasises the continuing partnership between child, parent and educator and real life scenarios from home and educational settings are presented to help the reader bridge the gap from theoretical study to practical application. Supplementary material will include a companion website that will support the material in the book and encourage sudents to undertake wider reading and independent learning.
Part 1 Introducing Child Development
1 Issues in Child Development
2 Theories of Child Development
3 Research Methods
4 Nature and Nurture
Part 2 Early and Physical Development
5 Prenatal Development
6 Neonatal Behaviour and Learning
7 The Body and Physical Growth
8 Sensory and Perceptual Development
Part 3: Cognitive and Social Development
9 Cognitive and Social Development
10 Language Development
11 Emotions and Personality
12 The Social and Moral World of the Child
- Chapter openings that have specified learning outcomes so that objectives are set at the outset
- Each chapter includes a research focus box that presents either a recent project or summarises findings from a number of key studies that have contributed to understanding of child development in education
- In each chapter a controversies box is used to encourage the reader to reflect on a pertinent issue raised in the chapter. This could form the basis of a group discussion or the adoption of an individual critical stance on a particular issue. This will encourage students to critically evaluate theories, concepts and research findings.
- An in action box is used in each chapter to apply theory to practice directly. Real life scenarios from home and educational settings are presented to help the reader bridge the gap from theoretical study to practical application.
- Developmental milestone tables are used to depict aspects of development in a concise and easily accessible form for the reader. Figures, tables and illustrations are also included for this reason.
- Stop and think sections are included throughout to encourage the reader to pause and adopt a critical stance on a point or argument in the chapter, encourage reflection on personal experiences or challenge previously held beliefs.
- Chapter reviews recap the main points that have been covered in each chapter so that they are reinforced for students
- A going further section at the end of each chapter points the reader to sources of further reading or more in-depth study.
- Review questions are included at the end of each chapter to assist the reader in checking understanding of the key concepts introduced