A Reader's Guide to Contemporary Literary Theory5th Edition
For orders to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Japan visit your local Pearson website
Reflecting the continuing change and development in modern literacy theory, the key features of this book includes its clarity, brevity, equal coverage of the main literary theories and useful bibliographies of further reading.
Literature students will find its clearly defined sections easy to navigate and whilst avoiding over-simplification, it makes a complex subject accessible.
Preface to the Fifth Edition
1. New Criticism, moral formalism and F. R. Leavis
2. Russian formalism and the Bakhtin school
3. Reader-oriented theories
4. Structuralist theories
5. Marxist theories
6. Feminist theories
7. Poststructuralist theories
8. Postmodernist theories
9. Postcolonialist theories
10. Gay, lesbian and queer theories
Appendix 1: Recommended glossaries of theoretical and critical terms and concepts
Appendix 2: Literary, critical and cultural theory journals
- Accesible, easy to use guide
- Considers 'New Aestheticism' and engages with the ideas of 'Post-Theory'
- Contains extensive guides to further reading, web and electronic resources to ensure the quality of students' research
- A glossary defines key theoretical and critical terms
- Contains a guide to relevant journals
Peter Widdowson is Professor of Literature at the University of Gloucester. Peter Brooker is Professor of Modern Literature and Culture at University College, Northampton.
The best of the many guides to literary theory that are currently available. Widdowson and Brooker chart a clear and comprehensively documented path through the full range of what is best in contemporary literary theory indispensable for all students of literature An impressive achievement!
John Drakakis, Stirling University
This Guide is as stimulating and instructive an introduction to [literary theory] as any reader might wish for.
John Kenny, Centre for the Study of Human Settlement and Historical Change, National University of Ireland, Galway
Your opinions count
Be the first to review this product. Write your review now.