For orders to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Japan visit your local Pearson website
Investments offers a topical and thorough introduction to securities, securities markets and investment strategies, discussing in detail the various ways in which you can minimise risk and maximise yields.
Recent years have witnessed a revolution in the field of finance and investment in the capital market, with the market becoming truly global. This book addresses this difficult subject in a logical manner organised and written around the new developments and challenges facing the capital market. The book takes a truly international approach with coverage of international markets and companies.
This book is suitable for any undergraduate or postgraduate investments course taken as part of a finance, business or economics programme.
PART 1: THE INVESTMENT ENVIRONMENT
2. Bonds, stocks and other securities
3. Security markets
4. Institutional investors
5. Security regulation and investment ethics
PART 2: RETURN AND RISK
6. Rates of return
7. Fundamentals of portfolio analysis
8. Mean--variance analysis
9. Portfolio diversification
PART 3: CAPITAL MARKETS IN EQUILIBRIUM
10. The capital asset-pricing model
11. The arbitrage pricing theory
12. Efficient markets: theory and evidence
PART 4: SECURITY ANALYSIS
13. Interest rates and bond valuation
14. Bonds: analysis and management
15. Stocks: valuation and selection
16. Financial statement analysis
17. Macroeconomic analysis
18. Technical analysis
PART 5: DERIVATIVE SECURITIES
19. Futures, options and other derivatives
20. Derivatives valuation
PART 6: PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT
21. Risk management
22. Performance evaluation
APPENDIX A: INTRODUCTION TO REGRESSION ANALYSIS
APPENDIX B: EXCEL SPREADSHEET APPLICATIONS
APPENDIX C: REVIEW QUESTIONS: ANSWERS
- Bridges theory and application by using articles from the financial media, in particular the Financial Times, as well as real-world mini-cases to illustrate concepts
- A strong problem-solving approach is supported through many solved sample problems and practice boxes throughout the text – strong end-of-chapter problems and cases use real world information and data to give students the opportunity to apply what they’ve learned to solving real problems
- Up-to-date coverage of investment practice and academic research provides students with academic rigour.
- Appendices with regression and Excel tools for empirical research and practical applications
- Comprehensive companion website provides teaching and learning resources including PowerPoint slides and an instructor’s manual.