For orders to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Japan visit your local Pearson website
Oliver Cromwell is one of the most puzzling and controversial figures in English history. In this excellent introduction, Barry Coward uses Cromwell's own words and actions to analyse the life of Oliver Cromwell as a political figure and look at the historical problems associated with his exercise of power.
Abbreviations and Acknowledgements
1. The Unknown Cromwell
2. Cromwell and the Civil War, 1642-46
3. The Search for Settlement, 1646-49
4. Cromwell and the Rump, 1649-53
5. Cromwell and the Godly Reformation, 1653-54
6. Parliament and Personal Rule, September 1654- September 1656
7. The Continuing Quest for Settlement and Reformation, September 1656 – September 1658
List of Dates
- Invaluable exploration of one of the most overpowering yet elusive characters in British history
- Offers an essential introduction to Cromwell's political career and provides a convincing analysis of his rise from obscurity to power
- Reveals Cromwell's contradictory character and examines his political aims and ambitions.