Grammar & Writing
Reprinting - Limited stock. Add to basket to check current availability.
Grammar and Writing is a practical book designed to be used by writers of all kinds who want to improve their knowledge of language in order to develop and improve their writing skills.
The authors explaingrammatical terms in an accessible manner, through close attention to the way language is used in specific extracts from literary and non-literary writing.
1. Making Sense of Sentences
2. The Anatomy of the Clause
3. Word Grammar
4. Phrase Grammar
6. Structures Beyond the Sentence
7. Grammar and Style.
Trouble-Shooting: Ten Common Grammatical Errors in Writing.
- Introduces the components of language, syntax, clause and phrase structure and punctuation to teach the link between grammar and writing.
- Gives just enough knowledge of grammar to help develop writing - does not overwhelm the student with the finer points of grammatical theory.
- Explores grammar and style, stressing that language and conventions of writing must be flexible enough to allow for the fact that people write for different purposes.
- Includes work-related writing and analysis activities in each chapter to reveal grammar's relevance to the business world.
- Uses examples of different kinds of writing from a wide range of contexts, disciplines and cultures including literature, journalism, advertising and academic writing, showing the relationship between grammar and style in these varieties of written English.
- Designed to be used both by groups working within a degree course or by students working alone.
- Contains example discussion material and a series of structured exercises to test the information and skills learnt. Students progress through guided examples to more creative work.
Peter Chapman, Senior Lecturer in English, Anglia Polytechnic University