Britain in the World Economy since 1880
For orders to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Japan visit your local Pearson website
This title may be printed on demand which may result in extended delivery times
Bernard Alford reviews the changing role, and diminishing influence, of Britain within the international economy across the century that saw the apogee and loss of Britain's empire, and her transformation from globe-straddling superpower to off-shore and indecisive member of the European Community. He explores the relationship between empire and economy; looks at economic performance against economic policy; and compares Britain - through and beyond the Thatcher years - with her European partners, America and Japan. In assessing whether Britain's economic decline has been absolute or merely relative, he also illuminates the broader history of the world economy itself.
1.The Challenge to Late Victorian Apogee,.
2. British Industry and World Trade 1880-1914.
3. Finance and Empire 1880-1914.
4. The First World War and the Return to Gold.
5. Britain and the World Depression.
6. Britain and the New Post-War World Economic Order.
7. Comparative Performance and Competitiveness 1945-1961.
8. Britain and the Climax of the Long Boom.
9. International Crisis and the North Sea El Dorado.
10. Britain in the World Economy. Falling Down and Catching Up?
- Wide ranging study, taking the political, social and cultural conditions into account and covering a long chronological period comprehensively in one volume.
- Explores the relationship between empire and economy.
- Important assessment of Britain's economic performance and considers whether Britain's decline has been absolute or relative.
- Written in a jargon-free style for readers without specialist economic knowledge.
'This is a first-rate text which will be widely used xxx; Students will not go far wrong if they follow this clear and authoritative account of the course of the British economy in its international context over the last 115 years.'
'This stimulating, informative, and highly accessible book should prove of great value in precipitating lively and focused discussion xxx;'
Your opinions count
Be the first to review this product. Write your review now.