This title is ordered on demand which may result in extended delivery times.
The sixth edition of Color is an invaluable introduction to the art and the science of color and its uses. It provides a solid and thorough foundation in the aesthetic and practical basics of this all-pervasive subject, with many quotations from artists past and present on the subtleties of their techniques. The material on new technologies has been reorganized abd updated so that pigment mixtures are now explored before light mixtures.
New to the Sixth Edition 7
Photo Credits 9
1 Working with Color 10
2 Color Basics 14
The Physics of Light 14
Additive Light Colors 15
Subtractive Pigment Colors 18
Saturation, Hue, Value 19
3 Perceiving Colors 25
The Human Eye 25
Seeing Colors 26
Variables in Color Perception 30
Non-visual Color Perception 37
4 Psychological Effects of Color 39
Warm and Cool Colors 39
Physiological Effects 41
Color Symbolism 43
Personal Color Preferences 44
Emotional Effects 47
Local and Expressive Color 49
5 Compositional Effects of Color 51
Spatial Effects 51
Balance and Proportion 56
6 Theories of Color Relationships 63
Early Theories 63
Leonardo da Vinci 63
C.I.E. Color Space 73
7 Subtractive Media 75
Dye and Pigment Sources 75
The Color Notation Systems 76
Mixing Oils and Acrylics 77
Ceramic Glazes 82
Colored Glass 83
Fiber Dyes 84
Color Photography 89
Color Printing 90
Digital Printing 95
Color Management 98
Fading of Subtractive Colors 101
8 Additive Media 102
Transmitting Color Electronically 103
Choosing and Using Color on the Monitor 104
Digital Art 108
Color in Website Design 111
Dynamic Imagery and Virtual Reality 113
9 Color Combinations and Interactions 120
Color Schemes 120
Color Interactions 131
10 Color in Fine Art 146
Non-Western Traditions 147
Historical Western Approaches 150
Western Approaches in the Twentieth and Twenty-first Centuries 159
11 Color in Applied Design 171
Color Trends 171
Color Psychology 173
Graphic Design 176
Interior Design 179
Landscape Design 186
Color Problems 190
- Visual demonstrations of the effects of color—Using relevant artworks, enlarged details, color charts, diagrams, and abstract examples.
- Shows students color use in all media to reflect the variety of color applications.
- Scientific information—On the emotional and physiological effects of different hues.
- Gives students new material about the effects of color on our psyche and perceptions.
- Material on virtual reality and video installations.
- Demonstrates to students the new media applications of color.
- Chapter-opening quotations—Quotes from historical and contemporary artists.
- Enables students to understand how artists have used color in their work.
- Material on the spatial effects of color.
- Provides students with further discussion of this important visual effect.
- Comprehensive coverage of the basics of color use in all media.
- Gives students the foundation they need to explore color in their own work.
- Practical considerations—Such as ways that graphic designers use and specify printers' inks.
- Enables students to see applications in real-life professions.
- Real artists' point of view—Direct quotes from working artists about the realities of color use.
- Allows students to thoroughly see color from the artist's perspective.
- Variety in color applications—Including historic and contemporary paintings, photographs, crafts, advertisements, cartoons, commercial design, computer art, video, architecture, landscape design, sculpture, and clothing.
- Provides students with many examples of color use in virtually all fields of creative activity.
- Art by women and multicultural art—Included throughout the text.
- Gives students better perspective on the influence of gender and culture on the use of color in art.
- Highlighted technical terms—Carefully defines technical terms in the text and in a glossary.
- Provides students with an easily-accessed reference for better understanding of the concepts presented.
- “Color Problems”—Suggests experiments with principles of color use plus tips on art supplies and color-acrylic painting.
- Gives instructors support in forming their curriculum.